DECEMBER 7, 2022
RICHMOND, BC (PGA of British Columbia) - The Association is pleased to announce the schedule and lineup of featured speakers for the 2023 PGA of BC Education Series presented by Foresight Sports Canada. The Education Series is designed to bring Golf Professionals from across the province a wide range of professional development opportunities through the winter and spring seasons to kick-off the new golf year.
Featured speakers from a variety of golf-industry backgrounds and areas of expertise, including many from within the PGA of BC membership, will cover a number of topics and issues relevant to all Golf Professionals at events taking place in four of the Association's geographical regions, starting on January 17th in the Lower Mainland and concluding April 24th at Fairmont Hot Springs Resort.
Further events are scheduled for February 22nd at Victoria Golf Club and March 21st at Gallagher's Canyon Golf & Country Club. The Association is excited to return to in-person events, while also scheduling four online sessions for members across the province to participate in based on the positive feedback provided from last year's Education Series.
As part of the upcoming Education Series, we are proud to have our 2022 Regional and Provincial PGA of BC Award recipients participate, including Simon Jones (Purcell Golf, Kootenays/North Region Teacher of the Year), Michelle McCann (Uplands Golf Club, Jack McLaughlin Junior Golf Leader of the Year), and Nathan Leonhardt (Par-Tee Golf, Alvie Thompson Teacher of the Year).
Topics of focus will include approaches to coaching and instruction (including junior golf), career development, fitness, accounting & finance, leadership & organization culture, and more.
The following presentations will be featured at each stop on the Education Series (all times local, schedule & lineups subject to change):
January 17th, 10AM to 2PM at Marine Drive Golf Club
- Building a Successful Teaching Business in the Digital World - Nathan Leonhardt, Head Teaching Professional, Par-Tee Golf
- Strength Training for Golf - Groundwork Athletics
- How Strong Leadership Builds Exceptional Workplace Culture - Dave Mowat, Former CEO of Vancouver City Savings Credit Union and ATB Financial, Chair of the Alberta Royalty Review Panel, and current Telus Board Member
February 22nd, 10AM to 2PM at Victoria Golf Club
- Small Business Management & Accounting - Kyman Chan, Grant Thornton LLP
- Does Club Fitting Matter? - Jason Giesbrecht, Head Teaching Professional, The Golf Performance Project
- Teaching the Next Generation: Challenges and Opportunities - Michelle McCann, Professional, Uplands Golf Club
March 21st, 10AM to 2PM at Gallagher's Canyon Golf Club
- How to Improve A Players Game Without Changing Their Swing - Jeff Overholt, Teaching Professional, Harvest Golf Club
- The Changing Economic Climate and Outlook - TD Bank Group
- Using Sport and Performance Psychology Techniques to Maximize Golfer Learning, Motivation, Error Management, and Overall Performance - Shaunna Taylor, PhD, Past Chair, Canadian Sport Psychology Association, and current Member, Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
April 24th, 10AM to 1PM at Fairmont Hot Springs Resort
- Junior Golf: How to Run a Successful Program - Simon Jones, Head Professional, Purcell Golf
- The Endless Pursuit of Chasing a Dream: Stories of Development, Golf and Life - Chris Medford, Head Professional, Fairmont Hot Springs Resort
The schedule for virtual presentations as part of the 2023 Education Series will include the following sessions (all times PT, schedule subject to change)
Monday, January 30th - 10AM
- From Burnout to Balance in 12 Weeks - Will Robins, Founder & CEO, RGX Coach
Thursday, February 16th - 1PM
- Taking Your Game as a Teacher and Coach to the Next Level - Henry Brunton, PGA of Canada Master Professional
Wednesday, March 8th - 10AM
- Bandon Dunes Customer Experience: How to ensure a positive experience from booking to departure - Jeff Simonds, Assistant General Manager & Senior Director of Operations, Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
Tuesday, April 4th - 1PM
- Exploring Playable Design Strategies to Benefit all Golfers - Alex Hay & Oliver Tubb, Lobb + Partners Golf Course Architects
Click on any workshop heading for more information on each individual session or view them from the PGA of BC's Schedule of Events Page. Registration is now open for all events comprising the Education Series.
Please note that virtual sessions may be purchased individually for $40 per presentation, or a Virtual Education Series Pass may be purchased at a price of $100 for all four (4) sessions, including replays of recorded presentations for a period of two (2) weeks time.
When signing in to register their participation at an in-person gathering, members will receive four (4) PDP points for their attendance at an event within their region and six (6) points for events outside their region. All virtual-session attendees will receive two (2) PDP points when registering their attendance during the live broadcasts; no points will be awarded for viewing recorded replays of the virtual sessions, so participating live is strongly encouraged.
To make the content presented at in-person sessions available to all members across the province, the administration team will make every effort to record presentations and add them to the Education Series Archive for viewing at a nominal fee where possible.
Please note that registration for each in-person event will close seven (7) days prior to the workshop taking place. For virtual sessions, all individuals holding a Series Pass will receive information on how to join the virtual workshops via email at the address listed during registration, delivered on the business day prior to the scheduled session.
We look forward to having you join us for these informative workshops in the months ahead. The administration team also looks forward to revealing the lineup in the near future for the 2023 Spring Education Seminar, which will be held on February 6th and 7th. Members are encouraged to save the date to join us. Full details of the event to follow in the coming weeks.
For more information, please contact:
Programs Manager, PGA of BC